Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's a Catholic Thing, You Wouldn't understand

I was driving in to work this morning and saw one of those Jeep stickers, "It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand". I've never found much humor in the sticker, typically it's on a factory Jeep with street tires that has never really seen dirt. The driver stalled it out and had to restart the engine while trying to leave the stop light. It made me giggle a little and think to myself "Jeep this!" I know, way off subject, but I was just giving some silly background on the title. Truth be told I'm addressing a much more serious issue.

Check out this news report:

Associated Press - November 12, 2007 4:13 PM ET

MILWAUKEE (AP) - A 79-year-old Roman Catholic nun has pleaded no contest to indecent behavior with two male students during the 1960s at a Milwaukee convent and school where she was principal.

Norma Giannini faces up to 10 years in prison on each count when she's sentenced February 1st.

Her accusers said they had dozens of sexual encounters with Giannini, including intercourse.

The nun went on to work in Illinois from 1970 to 1994.

The regional president for the Sisters of Mercy says Gianini received extensive counseling after the order learned of the situation during the 1990s and has been kept away from minors since then.

I have a hard time with churches in some cases. I have found some of the most faithful church goers are some of the biggest hypocrites. I can't say that I live my life exactly as I should, but for the most part I try.

I've recently been visiting different churches on the weekend to find a place where I fit in and don't feel overwhelmed with fake people. Where there is a genuine atmosphere of faith, hope, prayer and a drive to live a stand up life. Some would say you must live by the book and worship, others would say just be a good person, I say, do what you think is right for your beliefs no matter what they may be.

I've come to the conclusion that I have no desire to visit a Catholic church. My son would not be safe around the Priests or the Nuns. I guess it's a Catholic thing that I just don't understand. Then again, maybe I have no desire to understand pedophiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment