Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dog the N***** Hunter.


Duane "Dog" Chapman seems to have gotten himself in a pot of hot water by using the n-word in a private phone conversation with his son. What a media spectacle this is becoming. I heard it on the radio, it's all over the web, and there's a million opinions on what he could have/should have(n't) said.

I agree, racism is outdated and shouldn't be an issue. I also agree that the use of a word can be extremely powerful when it is used maliciously. I also agree that "celebrities" should be mindful of everything they do and say because they are in the spotlight, but what I'm going to stand firm on is this, it was a PRIVATE conversation.

We have laws regarding wire taps and recording devices using in conjunction with telephone conversations, and even in person conversations. No matter what was said, if there was not a proper warrant for the recording of the conversation, or disclosure prior to the conversation all things said should be suppressed and negated due to the violation of privacy rights.

I know, that's not what was expected. Everyone wants to pull the race card and talk about how horrible it is, but I didn't hear of him beating a black person or wearing a white pointy hat. He didn't drag anyone behind a pick up like was done in Jasper, Texas. He didn't over sentence a young man who was in a fight in Jena, Louisiana, he said a word. Granted, the word is associated with hate and racism, but it has become that because society made it that way.

The origin of the word stems from the Spanish negro, French negre, and Scottish neger, all referring to black or dark hued. Polynesians, Indians, and Africans have all been referred to as such because of the hue of their skin. It was originally descriptive and not derogatory. I grew up calling Brazil nuts nigger-toes, does this make me a racist?

I sit in my office every day with a coworker who is black, we both see eye to eye that the words and racism accusations have gone way too far in both directions, but that in some cases it is an outstanding problem. We joke back and forth and crack on each others ethnicity in relation to vehicles or situations that are humorous to us.

When I see a Crown Victoria with 26 inch wheels that sits higher than my truck I laugh and shake my head, he does too. I jokingly say "you're people dawg" There's no racism intended there, it's humor. When he sees a jacked up truck with a NASCAR sticker on the back that has an exhaust reminiscent of the most irritating sound you could imagine, I get the same "you're people"

Is it possible for us to just find humor in stuff instead of assuming that it's all hateful and malicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment